Do It Yourself: Chandelier

3:07:00 AM


Like any other girl who finds comfort in a cozily illuminated abode, I too am crazy over those aesthetic lighting fixtures, especially those smartly elegant, sophisticated and girly chandeliers. I mostly prefer the girly ones though. 

I like having lampshades, lanterns, and chandeliers in my room. This is a fascination I could never outgrow so I prefer not to spend much on it. I use any available materials to create one that is not only an eye candy but also durable.  

Lemme show you my two favorite chandeliers that have cozily illuminated my safe haven for years. 

Materials: 
  • A Used Chinese Lantern 
  • A few Native Balls 
  • Broken Mirror Pieces 
  • Used Aluminum Wire 
  • Parallel electrical circuit 
  • 5-Watt Light Bulbs 
  • Ribbons 
  • Colored Papers 
  • Glue Stick 
  • Electrical Tape 



What made me think of doing this? 

Well, my mirror was shattered and the broken pieces were just lying there for days waiting for trash collection. So I decided to recycle it. And in the process, I was also able to up-cycle some of my old decorative materials. 

I utilized a used Chinese lantern; one that was already too faded and a bit dusty after years of use. Honestly, I was thinking of throwing that piece. Good thing I haven't. I shattered the mirror into smaller pieces using a hammer and used a glue stick to attach each piece patiently onto the lantern, being so careful not to cut myself with its sharp edges. The mirrors hid the fact that the lantern is nowhere as good as new. You won't even notice that it is overused, especially when I added a light bulb inside it. To accentuate it more, I used a few meters of aluminum wire and formed a few twirls that branch out of the lantern. Using the electrical tape, I attached the electrical circuit alongside the aluminum wires making sure that the bulb part of the circuit is near the end of the twirls, exactly where I would later put the native balls. I then covered it with a light pink paper to hide the untidy look of the overlapping wires. I secured one native ball near the end of each twirl and laced a teal ribbon at its base. As a finishing touch, I inserted the bulb on each native ball.  



After almost three years of using it, the lantern has already accumulated dust; it is quite difficult to clean it thoroughly because of the mirror's sharp edges. So I replaced the lantern part with a cylindrical lantern that I made myself. I used a plastic folder as the skeleton and covered it with a gift wrapper with an abstract design and a bit of texture. I also covered the wires with black electrical tape to add contrast to it. 

You Might Also Like