CITY GIRL, PROMDI HEART: Reasons Why I Love the Province

7:43:00 AM


"Promdi" is a term that refers to someone who was born in the province and has lived there for a long time. Filipinos from the countryside are often made fun of when they first arrive in a big city. If someone is unable to pronounce the letter “f” and instead uses the “p” sound, he or she will be labeled a "promdi"It is taken from the English phrase, 'FROM THE' province. In Tagalog, traditionally, it doesn't have an F so F is pronounced as P. "The" is pronounced by many Filipinos as DI... So PROMDI is coined. Promdi people are stereotyped as wearing unfashionable clothes and speaking with a rural accent. But lemme get this straight, I pronounce my "F" and "P" right. 





Some people find it a bit destructive and embarrassing because "promdi" is sometimes used as an insult or a joke. Others preferred to be called a Probinsyano or a Probinsyana since it has a better connotation. Me, I don't really mind. In fact, I take pride in my provincial roots, whatever they call me because that's who I am.  I was born and raised in the small town of Hilongos, Leyte and moved to Cebu City when I started college. I stayed here until I got a job. 




I've been living in the city for almost a decade now, and surprisingly I'm loving itThe busy offices have the best city view and most certainly keeps me amped up through the day. It makes me feel independently fulfilled especially when I look back to how this city provided me with all the opportunities that led to everything I have accomplished today. The cozy city lights make me feel relaxed on most nights. And on some nightsit fuels my fun loving heart, subtly reminding me that living alone can't be too bad. Don't get me wrong, but I can't imagine how my retired-military pops would react knowing I stayed out late.  People in the province sleep early...too early compared to the city. 


But waking up to the sound of vehicles rushing down the busy streets and the frequent blaring of horns from impatient drivers are not really my cup of tea. Walking down the road shaded by towering skyscrapers doesn't quite satisfy my nature-loving heart either.  


I grew up in the province where the austere grandeur of swaying tall trees greets me as I stride down the open road. The breathtaking mountain scenery never fails to amaze me day after dayAnd the relaxing sound of the leaves with every touch of the breeze? it's a music I can listen to all day long. And I always miss all that. But do you know what I miss more than anything?  

 THE SUNSET. 

The coolest masterpiece of God. The most perfect splash of colors that changes as the light succumbs to darkness. Who wouldn't love a great sunset? Especially if you got your family and friends to share it with.  



For those who love amazing sunsets like me, grab your friends and go to a place where you can see the spectacular view as Mr. Sun says goodnight. Maybe go to the beach, a field or a higher ground coz I'm not just talking about those yellowish light beams that you can see reflected on those glass windows. I'm talking about literally seeing that powerful ball of fire setting down. And just have fun because, in the city, sunset is not something you get to enjoy every day. Feel and enjoy that moment. Take some great pictures while you're at it. 







You Might Also Like